Thursday, September 20, 2012

Everybody plays the fool


Super Bad

In 1972 I was in 2nd grade. I saw a record advertised on TV called Super Bad and I NEEEEEDED to have it. It was put out by K-Tel label. It must have been really important for me to have because I somehow got my mother to get it for me and that was rare. I did not get a lot of things. I must have worked really hard to make that happen, but I have no memory of  that because it was all eclipsed by getting it.
It was a Funk and Soul collection and the cover was the words Super bad, spray painted on a wall, you dig what they are getting at? The vinyl had James Brown “Get On the Goodfoot” and Isaac Hayes “Shaft”. I was a bit too young to fully appreciate serious funk, but I liked it. I was curious about “I Gotcha” by Joe Tex, a song that struck me as weird at that young age, why did she promise and then not give it, and why is he demanding it?
At the time I felt that the two best songs on the collection were “Band of Gold” which had a pretty great opening and “Everybody Plays the Fool” by the Main Ingredient, which I thought was “Everybody Plays the Flute Sometime” because there is a solo instrument in the intro/riff that sounds like a flute. What did I know? Not a lot, but I really dug that record. I played it all the time. I had passion for music at 4 years old and 5, 6 and 7 and on and on. Make it happen, follow your bliss, go where it is warm, go where your heart leads you. Dig it brothers and sisters.
Love to you all,
Holly





No comments:

Post a Comment