Thursday, February 21, 2013

ms

Ms.
So I was talking with an old dear friend, my sister after all these years, and I was inspired to write about some of thoughts that came up for me after our great conversation.

I really love the show Girls. I am so glad that there is a voice out there that is so contrary to this other predominant voice that tells stories about women, who look like models, and are written by men. I saw an ad for another show about a bunch of young females and I have to say I did feel repulsed by what the image, the ad, represented to me, the typical Hollywood image of a female, the hideous, actually unhuman portrayal of women that is more and more prevalent and thus more and more “the norm”. urg! There is a standard of beauty out there that is so vulgar. I have lived on the fringe of society for many years and have avoided buying in, but I feel for the girls who think that that standard is real, achievable, or even desirable.
God I love women, they are amazing and I need to see them portrayed in fair and interesting ways. God bless Lena Wertmuller, Shirley Clarke, Nicole Holofcener, Sally Potter, Miranda July, Allison Anders, Lena Dunham, Ilya Chaiken, Katrina del Mar and all the other women directing movies about women that are real, funny beautiful, great, human, alive, allowed!!

As I watch the classic cartoons with my 3 year old, I can’t help but feel annoyed that the main characters are all guys, yes there are a few interesting women leads out there, but they are far and few between. We all need to see ourselves represented fairly.

We are obligated to use our gifts and get our work out in the world. Particularly women. Lets us be seen in all our humanness, imperfections, ages, ethnicities, everything. Let us be shown multi-dimensionally. Let us tell our stories of failure and triumph, struggle and strength, pain and redemption! Let us be part of the universal story, not the fringe, not the exception. I always put my money where my mouth is and go see the female directed releases in the theatre. Ladies who are creating public work, keep up the good work, it matters, it is important, it is vital!!!

I was a radical feminist in college and I encourage women of all ages to visit that space for a bit, watch the Gloria Steinem documentary, read about Seneca falls and Susan B Anthony and Elizabeth Cady Stanton. Remember that African American men were given the vote before we were. Root yourself in knowledge of the history of your sex. No one gives you equality, you take it. Never forget that.
The world can be a fucked up place and yes, I am all for creating my own reality. I do not need to live in a warzone but I still need to know my history, honor the struggle, serve my community and help lift up those below me.

There is so much more to say about this, but for now, dear ones, remember your purpose.




No comments:

Post a Comment