Thursday, July 11, 2013

What’s great about New York

Oh hell, so what if new york is changed and unrecognizable, so are people I went to school with. Being back in new york city this round was so fun and beautiful. Here are a few highlights from my soul-inspiring culture-filled lovefest of a trip:

I saw my dear dear pals and walked the beautiful streets and played in the sprinklers to stay cool with my daughter.

I ate lemon shaved ice on the sidewalk and then ate arepas at the tiny, crowded, and wonderful Caracas (93 1/2 E 7th St).

I feasted on the ever classic chicken rice soup at Odessa.

I saw on oversized black and white river bird standing over two feet tall with long legs and webbed feet that hung like a heron’s when he flew, just sitting on a fence at midnight in tompkins square park, watching the rats run free.

I ate green curried eggplant and monkfish at the fat radish, which I thought was called the fat rat.

I did not have to have anyone arrested,

I just enjoyed the hot humid city and the warm breezy nights. Things were quiet because people were out of town for the fourth, and I was just digging the landscape, the architecture, the surroundings, the great food and the amazing people.

There are still great fun secrets abounding although I missed the night train dance party at home sweet home (both in ny and in la a few days earlier, drats!!! http://www.newyorknighttrain.com).

And even though I was dying to eat at dojo before they closed I didn’t feel the need to get there. Maybe they will still be around next visit, maybe not. Speaking of which, gem spa is still there despite big rumors and mourning over its departure.

Did I mention that I saw my extended family on both sides who I love so much. I am so lucky to be touched by such wonderful souls, to get to know them and be part of them. I was taken care of and loved.

I got to read a terrific book (Wild, by Cheryl Strayed). I love paying for great books, supporting both authors and mom and pop bookstores.

I saw a brilliant film (Into the Void). Did you know that racism is reduced when people are exposed to other cultures and get to see the humanity of folk from different backgrounds? Foreign film facilitates that. I love supporting great film.

I swam in two sublime swimming pools, went to two boss parties (one even had bagpipes!), slept till 11 am most days and just had a grand time.

Being with my mother brought me yet again to a new level of compassion for her, for me, for her parenting of me and for my parenting of my daughter. We are so much like our parents on so many levels weather we like it or not. And ultimately awareness of that likeness is a gift, a key, a means to heal our wounds, better our lives, and yes, increase our capacity to love and forgive. It is amazing how deep the river is and how we can be standing in it dying of thirst or swimming in it with joy and love. You dig, my friends?

Sorry i did not get to see so many of you beautiful people.

Can I just end by saying that JFK is a zillion times better than LAX. Why is that? Why can’t LAX have GREAT food, a fun pay area, massages at the gate, and family bathrooms? I love new york. See you next time.


No comments:

Post a Comment