Friday, November 1, 2013

'Let us live so that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry.'


Mark Twain — 'Let us live so that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry.'

I love Dia de los Muertos! I really cannot think of a cooler way to regard death, talk about it, accept it, and celebrate it. Today I spoke to my daughter’s class of 3-4 year olds about the day of the dead. We read a book about the traditions and made an alter and some kids put pictures of their pets or family members who have passed away. My girl put a photo of our dear cat who is very missed.

This is what I wrote last year:

Ah yes, the veil between the two realms is the thinnest tonight! Remember the dead with Joy. Celebrate their lives. Have a laugh and a smile. They are here with us tonight.

Our ancestry can be traced back through our cells. Our ancestors are part of us. We carry them with us and can learn from them, be inspired by them, find strength in them and heal them as we heal the more challenging parts we inherited.”
Death is curious. George Harrison’s wife said that when he died his body lit up the room. They say that is what happened when Jesus died and that that bright light is what created the Shroud of Turin. They say that when the great Indian saint Yogananda passed on his body did not decay and that there was no odor in the 20 days that he was dead but not yet buried. The Mortuary Director in charge of his remains said in a notarized letter that “This state of perfect preservation of a body is, so far as we know from mortuary annals, an unparalleled one…” I was present for the passing of my father. It was quiet, astonishing, unstoppable, final. There is so much we do not know. I like hearing about it all.
I do not have a lot more to say other than start by admitting from cradle to grave, it isn’t that long a stay. Be here now. Love eachother. Tell people that you love them. Shine your brightest. Be kind and forgiving. Reach to be a little bit better. Stay open. Be willing. Live your life grandly. I write this to remind myself. Celebrate the dead. Every one is invited to the party.
--------------------------------------------
yes, i have this on 7 inch vinyl
http://youtu.be/Y_2KIUuShbM

No comments:

Post a Comment