Friday, January 17, 2014

Sundance 2014


First of all, yes, Robert Redford looks like a million bucks in person. It is so great to be back in Park City, for the Sundance Film Festival, getting a mini snowy winter break from glorious warm Los Angeles, and watching great films all day. I had the good fortune of coming twice in the past, as films I acted in were selected to be part of the festival in prior years- the feature "Margarita Happy Hour" and the short I wrote and acted in "The 100 Lovers of Jesus Reynolds"both directed by the brilliant Ilya Chaiken. Man we whooped it up back then and what a grand time we had.

This year I am so proud to be here as part of the "Whiplash" entourage. The film is directed by Damien Chazelle and is edited by my husband Tom Cross and stars Miles Teller. In my humble opinion, man, is it a great film. I got to see the film for the first time at the opening night of the festival introduced by Robert Redford himself at the 1000 seat Ecceles theatre. How cool can you get? I won't give the story away, but it resolves around a drummer and his bloodied kit, and even though he is a jazz player there is an element which reminds me of the musicians on the early new york hardcore scene. If you are here, go check it out. If not you'll have to wait for a theatrical release. In the meantime, let me brag about my talented husband by quoting the Indiewire review: "Opting here for a rhythmically precise editing style that even Fletcher would approve of, editor Tom Cross uses rapid cuts that make watching a band practice as exciting as a high-speed car chase." 

To top off my fantastic trip, my old friend and producer of my cd, Jess Stroup is also here, having worked as Composer on "Camp X-Ray" starring Kristen Stewart. Great work, pal. 

Congratulations to all of the films and the crews. Can't wait to see more tomorrow....

Viva la cinema!!!

http://youtu.be/1Yrd6caXygw



No comments:

Post a Comment