Sunday, December 28, 2014

Gang Girl


Back in the day, I was hanging out on the Lower East side with the most creative, coolest, beautifulest people on earth. In 2000, I was at Lee Strasberg Theatre Institute, sharing my one bedroom with a cool woman from Germany to pay the tuition, and I was cast as a principle character in the indie film, Margarita Happy Hour, by Ilya Chaiken.  Things were going great.

Then I heard that a bunch of my pal were cast in Katrina Del Mar’s film Gang Girls 2000. I really wanted to be a part of what I knew would be a masterpiece, so I called Katrina and told her so. And Katrina said I could be in the film! I think she said I could be a Glitter girl, I can’t remember. Anyway, I just needed to show up at Coney Island for the fight scene finale. I was thrilled but as fate would have it I got a call that I had to shoot one more scene for Margarita Happy Hour the very same day!! Ah, luxury problems. I missed my big chance and felt so sad, but I had a commitment and that was that.

Well, fast-forward 14 years. Christmas came early this year when I got my copy of Katrina Del Mar’s Girl Gang trilogy in the mail on Christmas eve. The cool thing is that this brilliant piece of work exists and I own a copy. And I can still brag to my husband and you about how I was supposed to be in it. God bless all you women directors! Ps. Ava DuVernay, the director of Selma, is my new hero.

http://youtu.be/bmHWC8KDybA?list=PL8ntX8yFrSHWpsDtUGaElm4oxMVFhvct2

No comments:

Post a Comment