Tuesday, January 20, 2015

Have you read Flannery O’Conner, Everything That Rises Must Converge? If not, please do.


I was at the gym and I heard a woman in her 40’s or so say to another woman around the same age, when asked how her day was, “This day is not going good. I was talking on my phone while driving without a headset and they gave me a ticket.” The other woman replied, “That happened to me! All I did was answer my phone and the cops stopped me and gave me a ticket. It’s like a police state!” The first one said, “I know! The cops are unbelievable. I should move to Mexico. You know they have those drug cartels but that’s nothing compared to this bullshit.” The other one replied, “I know. We should both go. Really!” I kid you not.

I could not avoid the conversation because I was stuck there on the elliptical and for a moment I had the fantasy of charging at them both and knocking them down and beating them, just like in a Flannery O’Conner story!!!  It was not an angry, rageful fantasy, but more of a joyous one. The fleeting thought brought a smile to my lips and made listening to them tolerable. I think I need to re read Everything That Rises Must Converge. Those are some of my favorite stories ever told. Peace out, peeps.



No comments:

Post a Comment