Wednesday, March 25, 2015

3 things I so vividly cannot remember


1. Once I got a job in a call center or something like that, near NYU, maybe. I think Danny helped me get it. I have little memory. It was supposed to be an easy gig. I really needed a job. I remember being in the room, but I have no idea where it was. A machine dialed the numbers and connected you, possibly. Someone fat was annoyed with me. I think I worked there a day and quit or was fired.

2. I had a friend who helped teach me to play guitar, an asian guy, my age, did we go to college together? He is so faint in my memory, I cannot remember his face or name, but I remember playing a Neil Young song with him on a stoop in the west village. He was more than an aquaintence, but still a ghost. I have not thought about him in decades.

3. (Since my twenties, I have been inquiring about this one, wondering what happened next). Once I babysat for my mother’s friend who had 2 kids. I was  maybe twelve years old at the very oldest. I had no experience. She lived in a ground floor apt on Mosholu Parkway in the Bronx with a door that opened up to the street along the grassy area called the Mosholu Parkway Greenway there, not far from the Grand Concourse and Bronx Science. When the mom left, the older kid, who was 5 or 6 years old, took off all her clothes and put on a tutu and rollerskates and opened the door and left. The dog ran out too. I ran out to try to catch everyone and I must have left the 3 year old alone in the apartment with the door open for a brief spell. As young and ill-prepared as I was, I do remember that I knew that leaving the door open with a little child inside was my biggest problem, so I returned fast, empty handed. And I have no idea what happened next. I am guessing they came back eventually.

No comments:

Post a Comment