Sunday, March 22, 2015

"I saw an owl and I saw a coyote. And I saw a woman with brown skin"


Yesterday my daughter was singing a song about Martin Luther King. She was going on and on about I miss you … and this whole story. So I asked her if she made the song up or if it was from school and she said, “It’s real. It’s about Martin Luther King. It’s sung by his wife.” So I asked her if she learned it in school and she said she heard it in New York. So I pressed her and asked if she heard it when we were there last summer and she said,
“I was there in New York and I saw an owl and I saw a coyote. And I saw a woman with brown skin.  And she was Martin Luther King’s wife and she missed him and she was singing the song. It was when I was born, 1000 years ago.”
When I asked her teacher about it, she said they had a song about MLK and Harriet Tubman and Rosa Parks, but the song had nothing to do lyrically or musically with the one my girl was singing.


No comments:

Post a Comment