Friday, March 6, 2015

The Greatest Documentary Ever Made



I want to write tonight in honor of the great documentary filmmaker and New Yorker, Albert Maysles, who passed away yesterday at the age of 88 after 60 years of film making.

Albert and his brother David, who passed away in 1987 were a film making team known for the films Grey Gardens and Gimme Shelter, among many others. They were the first to make non-fiction feature films without scripts or narration.

I think that Gimme Shelter is the greatest documentary ever made because the story is amazing, the cimenatography is breathtaking, the film making is perfect and you can watch it over and over again. It is probably the film I have seen the most times, and I still stop in my tracks when I see it showing somewhere, can’t take my eyes off of it, and crave to see it again on a regular basis. Genius.

Albert's commitment to reality is inspiring. “As a documentarian I happily place my fate and faith in reality. It is my caretaker, the provider of subjects, themes, experiences – all endowed with the power of truth and the romance of discovery. And the closer I adhere to reality the more honest and authentic my tales. After all, the knowledge of the real world is exactly what we need to better understand and therefore possibly to love one another. It’s my way of making the world a better place.” Albert Maysles (taken from his website).

Thank you for your work.

No comments:

Post a Comment