Wednesday, April 1, 2015

Things that happened to me driving across America 1988 with a girl friend. (Part I) (Short and sweet version)


Things that happened to me driving across America 1988 with a girl friend. (Part I)

1. I swam naked in the Rio Grande while a heard of wild goats watched

2. When I stopped to use the bathroom in a gas station in the middle of nowhere, the old man who worked there followed me to the bathroom and waited patiently outside the door until I was finished. I opened the door to the dark dank room and the blinding summer sun  took away my vision for a moment in which he asked me “can I buy you a coke, dollface?”

3. We narrowly escaped a maniac who was trying to kill us or worse. It was late and we pulled over to sleep on the side of the highway. We moved everything in the back of the car to the front seat so we could lay down in the back. It was a tedious chore. Almost done, we heard a car stop on the other side of the highway and heard someone get out and start walking towards us. It was a man moving fast. We yelled that we were ok and did not need any help. He silently kept approaching and the hair stood up on my arm. We jumped into the front seats but could not get the car into drive because the cooler was shoved up against the stick shift. The guy was a foot away. I was pulling and pushing the cooler but it was stuck. The guy put his hand on our door handle, just as the cooler gave way and my girlfriend threw the car into drive and drove away, seconds away from a different fate. (fate: the three goddesses who preside over the birth and life of humans. Each person's destiny was thought of as a thread spun, measured, and cut by the three Fates, Clotho, Lachesis, and Atropos.)

4. Got my blonde hair stroked in awe by a young boy in the mountains of a very remote Mexican village because he had never seen blonde hair before. (We veered into Mexico and back, on that trip.)

5. Saw my first colored lightening storm (red and orange!!), my first field of sunflowers, my first desert, my first so very many things. It was the first time I had traveled really and it opened up my tiny deprived life even more than music and punk had.

tune in tomorrow for part II.

No comments:

Post a Comment