Thursday, April 2, 2015

Things that happened to me driving across America 1988 and 89 with a girl friend. (Part II)


Part II. I am on vacation, so I think we might stay on this topic till for a while….

6. We were not arrested for breaking and entering, even though that was exactly what we did. A friend of a friend said we could stay with him, but when we came back to his home that night, tired and hungry, there was no key, so we broke in, in a friendly way. The cops actually drove by while we were doing it, but they missed seeing us in action, so we got to sleep in a nice comfortable bed that night instead of jail. Crime does pay sometimes.

7. I was propositioned by an Africa American teenage hustler in a Winn Dixie parking lot in New Orleans. He walked up to me and asked, “Do you need to come?” I was stunned.

8. I got VD. Not from him (above), from a guy I was crazy about, (not because it matters, just for clarity). Luckily it was the kind that goes away with antibiotics.  You know I like to put my money where my mouth is. I wanted to have an Easy Rider wild American road trip, so I did. You can’t play loose and free without some risks. Viva la Easy Rider!

9. We slept in our car most nights, a hatchback back we could almost stretch out long in when we put the back seats down. Sometimes we left the hatch open a few inches so our toes could be outside. We often drove till 4am and parked in the dark, unaware of the terrain. Once we found ourselves on the side of a mountain and woke up freezing in the middle of the night and once we found ourselves cooking in the car in the morning, hot and sweaty, waking in a dried up river bed, cracked earth and all, in the desert.

10. We listened to Bob Dylan, the Stooges, John Lee Hooker and Slim Harpo exclusively while seeing for the first time the purple mountain majesty, amber waves of grain, and spacious skies from sea to shining sea.

No comments:

Post a Comment