Friday, April 24, 2015

this post aint about rock and roll, it's about genocide


Today is the 100 year anniversary of the brutal Armenian genocide. Between 800,000 and 1.5 million people were systematically killed in their homeland by the Ottoman government. I had no idea until today about the events that were as brutal as the Holocaust but not as recognized. Today there was march in Hollywood for recognition. I was thrilled to see so many people turning out for the march. What strong people, to survive near extermination, and to persevere. I happened to love at least one Armenian person and am so glad that they are alive and in the world and in my life.

Because of the march traffic in Hollywood was a nightmare. It took me an hour to get to my daily stop at the Y, which usually takes 15 minutes. Then when I got there they said that the Y was closed because of a gas leak. I really needed to work out and felt really disappointed about how my day was turning out but I really felt the spirit of the marchers and somehow I let go of my petty stuff and remembered to allow life to be, to be great and beautiful and strong and alive and happy. So I went for a walk.

I had been wanting to go to the march to support the Armenian cause because I want to support all people, not just “my’ people.  So as fate would have it I wound up strolling along the march and mixed with all the folk. It was great to see all the generations of people there to seek recognition and honor the dead. After a bit I went back to the Y and it was opened and I went in. There were a lot of people complaining about how much turmoil the city was in because of the event. I could have easily been on of those people and I was so grateful to remember to engage in the world empathetically. It felt so good, not because I am a good person, but because I have lived in the loneliness and anger and isolation of fighting for me me me and have worked to live in community and attempt to practice empathy instead. Make space for everyone. There is enough to go around. I write this to remind myself.



No comments:

Post a Comment