Tuesday, May 19, 2015

guy at the farmer’s market with a beard wearing a housedress


There was a guy at the farmer’s market with a beard and glasses wearing a housedress. My daughter thought it was funny. She was with a friend and they thought it was very funny to see a guy in a dress, not because of any cues I was giving them, they just did. I wanted to try to teach her to respect how other people choose to look.

So I said that if we notice how someone looks we should say hi to them. I told her that Allen Ginsberg said “Pay attention to the vivid,” that he meant that you should pay attention to what ever you were visually interested in. And if our attention is attracted to someone we can tell them we think they look cool. And she said, “Or we don’t have to say anything.” Yep, or we don’t have t say anything.

The truth is I thought the guy looked really cool, radical actually, his large unwaxed brown body in a polyester housedress and great horn-rimmed glasses on his cool face. I miss creative dressers and revolutionary stylists. Los Angeles is lacking in that department and he was a breath of fresh air. I should have been the one to tell him how cool he looked. But he knew anyway.
-------------------------------------------------------------
I remember the first time I heard this song, in my bedroom at my parents house on college radio WNYU https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v6_u6_Rg7u4

No comments:

Post a Comment