Saturday, May 9, 2015

MOTHER


I will never cease to be blown away by the idea that a woman is born with all of her eggs in her already. There is a finite amount, yes. More importantly, you were inside of your grandmother. The egg that  makes half of you, that gives you half of your 46 chromosomes, was inside your mother when she was born, and so it was inside of your mother while she was inside of your grandmother. Yep. Our maternal heritage is so very deep and real because we were there. Some cellular version of me was in my grandmother. Part of me was with my mother since she was in utero, pre birth. Heavy, crazy, beautiful, mind boggling and real.

Being a mother has been THE most challenging experience of my life. Often I feel like I have be out plowing the felds from dawn till midnight. The physical work is staggering and the emotional work is even greater. I love all of it and have so much gratitude that I got to do this incredible thing. It challenges me to my core daily and makes me smile and laugh daily. It gives me empathy for my mother and all the other mothers out there.

Mothers, I applaud you. I see you and feel you.

Thank you mom.  Thank you for having me and keeping me alive. Thank you for all that you have done for me. I am so glad I was born. I am so lucky. 

No comments:

Post a Comment