Sunday, May 17, 2015

My two $3000 beds


Cleopatra was a prostitute I met once. I was in her apartment for a few minutes. Her bed was amazing. It was made out of that white glossy plastic material they made those cube tables out of, is that formica? Or just glossy plastic? Anyway the bed was a giant cube and on the 4 sides there were large circular cut outs so you could move in and out of the cube onto the mattress. The openings dipped just below the mattress so you could make the bed with ease. The mattress filled the cube wall to wall. The circular openings were rimmed in silver metal so the edges were smooth. It was brilliant. Then to contrast the white gloss she had purple satin sheets, so vivid and inviting. Her bed made me want a great bed.

I searched like mad for purple satin sheets but all I could ever find was eggplant, which was a whole different vibe. I settled for pink satin, not sateen, but real satin.

I bought my first real bed with illegally earned cash. I went to macy’s because they were having a mattress sale. The bed that felt the absolute best was priced at $3000 in 1991, marked down to $1000. I paid cash. Then I paid a guy $1000 to hand make me an iron frame so I could hang curtains on all four sides. It was not exactly Cleopatra’s but it was great. When I moved to los angeles, I left the the 10 year old mattress with a friend. She still has it and when I lay on it, to this day over 20 years later, it still feels unbelievably good.

A couple of years ago, I used legally earned money and bought another $3000 mattress, organic. This mattress is unbelievably comfortable and neither me or my husband sweat at night because there are no synthetics in it. A great bed is one of the best investments you can make. You spend 1/3 of your life in it.

Oh and the pink satin sheets which I slept on till they shredded became the material I made my fin out of for the 2000 Coney Island Mermaid Parade.  Someone just send me some photos of it, which brought it all back to me….

I think I need to post one more by UXA 

No comments:

Post a Comment