Monday, June 29, 2015

Instrumentals




I am a word person. I love lyrics. When I listen to a band, I mostly just hear the singer. When I dated guys in bands, I always dated the singers. I myself was the singer and songwriter in my bands. I wrote the words and said them. It is what my brain relates to.

So I am not the biggest fan of instrumentals-Green Onions, what ever; Pipeline, of well.  But when an instrumental hits the vein, it changes everything. Sometimes, in rare cases, the melody of a song is so profound it makes me cry. The master of that art is Booker T and the MGs, the personification of when sound is more powerful than words. Oh how I love it. I thought of this because last night I posted Booker T and the MG’s version of Time is Tight, brilliantly written by Booker T, Steve Cropper, Donald “Duck” Dunn and Al Jackson, Jr. And tonight I will add to it with another song they wrote and recorded which brings me to tears everytime I hear that chord change on the bridge, oh man we were just digging the beats and then you gotta go break my heart open with beautiful ache and longing. Yep, the stunning groove of Melting Pot. Ahhhhhh…

No comments:

Post a Comment