Tuesday, July 28, 2015

Bill Cosby and Oprah


wow! I am blown away by the New York magazine article featuring all of the women Bill Cosby raped. http://nymag.com/thecut/2015/07/bill-cosbys-accusers-speak-out.html I read each woman’s story out of respect for each of them and respect for their courage. I am a big fan of innocent until proven guilty in a court of law. It is really dangerous to cross that line and I do so very consciously here only because the evidence in this situation is staggering. Bill Cosby is a serial compulsive rapist.

I remember a story Oprah told about Bill Cosby where she was at an event and he came up to her and said something to the effect that …no one was going to tell her, so he would, that she was wearing too much make-up. She took the interaction very positively, really appreciating that he cared for her. She immediately agreed and was so happy to be told so she could change. I did not have any attachment to Bill Cosby, did not love his show or anything, but I remember really disliking him when I heard the story. I remember thinking that we all have opinions about how other people look but the proper way to behave is to keep you opinions to yourself unless asked. I think the story illustrates how big his sheer audacity is, that he really thought that his opinion was more important than Oprah’s, that he felt entitled to comment on her appearance, that he acted like he was being helpful, and that even Oprah, one of the most powerful people in entertainment, was influenced by him. Imagine if it was just some stranger saying that to her she would have been like, Who the F asked you? When she told the story, there was not a trace of her thinking, how dare you comment on my appearance, not a trace. 

Bill Cosby is shamelessly bold and arrogant and I am thrilled that his behavior is being uncovered so that at least it will stop it from happening to anyone else. I truly hope that everyone involved in this horror finds peace.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yHSFTRUekT0

No comments:

Post a Comment