Tuesday, August 25, 2015

Down on the Street


The first time I heard the Iggy and the Stooges was at a club called 2+2 at a hardcore show, I forget who was playing. I’ve written about this monumental moment before. http://hollyramoswrites.blogspot.com/2011/12/cmon-shake.html I was a teenager, there with my boyfriend Jesse, and they were playing the Stooges over the PA and we were talking about the band. I had seen and heard all about Iggy in Creem magazine, but that was the first taste of blood. They soon became one of my favorite bands.

We always thought the lyrics to the sing “Down on the Street” were “down on the street where my baby shines.”  Most sources will say it is “where the faces shine”, but “baby” makes such a good lyric and Iggy was such a romantic, after all.

Past forward to: one time I made a flyer for the GREENDOORNYC club, I made all the flyers, but one time I made one and I quoted that song, “Ain’t no wall,” And I put the date on the flyer but I forgot the location and address. I remember Johnny Dynell of Jackie 60 saying something flattering about how we didn’t even need to put the location, referring to how underground we were. It was one of those brilliant mistakes. Of course everyone knew where the party was, or found out, the night was as crowded as ever.

Anyway, I was thrilled to see the song used so well in Diary of a Teenage Girl, which you absolutely must see, when they are jumping on the bed singing it like a page out of my life, some of my favorite lyrics ever written, “Aint no wall!!! Ain’t no wall!”


No comments:

Post a Comment