Sunday, August 23, 2015

Goodbye


It is with a very heavy heart that I write tonight that my mother-in-law Loc passed away yesterday. She was an amazing artist and a strong elegant woman with much poise and beauty at 90. Her devoted husband, who never complained, noted that she never complained. Her son loved her with complete kindness and loyalty and she loved him the same.  My daughter had an other-worldly connection with her and is feeling a great loss. I owe her the world for giving birth to and raising my husband to be the amazing person he is. Thankfully we all got to say goodbye yesterday. I have so much love for her and will miss her presence on the planet. She got to see the world, know true love, live a long rich creative life and go peacefully at home with her family. We should all be so lucky. Much love and respect to you, Loc, as you journey on.

“I am standing upon the seashore. A ship at my side spreads her white sails to the moving breeze and starts for the blue ocean. She is an object of beauty and strength.
I stand and watch her until, at length, she hangs like a speck
of white cloud just where the sea and sky come to mingle with each other.

Then, someone at my side says, ‘There, she is gone’



Gone where?



Gone from my sight. That is all. She is just as large in mast,
hull and spar as she was when she left my side.
And, she is just as able to bear her load of living freight to her destined port.

Her diminished size is in me -- not in her.


And, just at the moment when someone says, ‘There, she is gone,’
there are other eyes watching her coming, and other voices
ready to take up the glad shout, ‘Here she comes!’


And that is dying...

Death comes in its own time, in its own way.
Death is as unique as the individual experiencing it.”
 - Henry Van Dyke

No comments:

Post a Comment