Monday, August 17, 2015

How do you thank someone who has taken you from crayons to perfume?


About 12 tears ago I drove past a little periwinkle building with murals on it and quotes about the arts and for no reason I thought, I want to work there, and through no effort on my part I wound up at a job interview there. I prayed that I would not get the job because I was not crazy about the hours, but I got it, and it was a great fit ever since. But the time has come to move on. 

Yep, today I stopped working at the job I had for over 11 years. When I started there I was a starving artist living with my boyfriend with a bad haircut and color, because I was broke. I was there through a marriage, 3 in vitros, 2 miscarriages,  2 adoptions, and one tedious legal battle that my side won. I made a couple of films and a cd, played a bunch of shows and toured a bit, and wrote a slew of songs and have really focused on writing. Oh, and I got to go to the academy awards where my husband won. I live a lot each day but I really lived a lot of life these last 11 years and through it all I had the wonderful opportunity of working with really cool people who were so supportive and inspiring and I’ve been allowed the opportunity to prosper wildly. I will miss that place.

I have worked since I was 13. I had the roof over my head and some food paid for till I was 19, and in college I got $200 a month towards my expenses but I paid for everything else, including tuition. I have completely supported my self since college and have continued to pay for half of everything as a married partner. I am a completely self-made woman, so not working for the first time in my life is a pretty big change. I feel terror, wonder and joy.

So I begin a blank page as of today. I brand new chapter. Right now I am in the throws of wild parenting and will take a year off till my son starts preschool and then the sky is the limit. I am excited to see what happens next.

As for right now I am just processing this big goodbye. "How do you thank someone who has taken you from crayons to perfume? It isn’t easy but I will try". Thank you from the bottom of my heart N and everyone at CTG.

I wish there was a feminine version of this sentiment….. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yTapoA5RQyo

No comments:

Post a Comment