Friday, November 27, 2015

42: Harvey Milk


Today is the anniversary of the death of Harvey Milk, the first openly gay person to be elected to public office in the state of California. I was still in grammar school when it happened. I did not know anything about him yet. In 1984 I remember seeing the documentary about him, The Times of Harvey Milk, in my boyfriend’s mother’s room and how much I was struck by the story and how I cried. 

Tragedies continue, too many to count, and we continue on the best we can. I love life and am thankful for all of the strong shining heros I am so lucky to be touched by. Love and respect to everyone fighting the good fight. I believe in the good in people and in the progress of positive change that moves us forward like a wave, although slowly at times. There is a saying I refer to often, that the first one through the wall always get bloodied. Leading and changing the world takes so much strength and courage. It is a dangerous job and yet amazing people continue rise to the occasion again and again. The progress of equality for all cannot be stopped by fear and evil. Love always wins. I seem to be typing that phrase all the time. Rest in Peace, brave soul. I am so sorry and thank you, thank you, thank you.

How amazing is it when people do what they are called to do. We can all be of service.

 "I know that you cannot live on hope alone, but without it, life is not worth living. And You... And You... And You... Gotta give em hope. Thank You very much." Harvey Milk

No comments:

Post a Comment