Thursday, December 24, 2015

A great film on Netflix, Tangerine

Tangerine

Sorry to gush here but...

Everybody needs to see this film. It is one of the best films of the year and I have seen most of them. I don't talk about it a lot but I love film and have strong opinions. I liked many of the talked about films this year, but Tangerine (shot entirely on an iPhone and had a buzz at sundance) is brilliant. Brilliant because of its subject matter and its characters and the perfection of the story craft. Amazing locations and sound really add to it.

I love films about the street, like City of God and Raising Victor Vargas. I love when someone tells stories about my kind of people  properly. I love when someone creates great real characters. I love when a film touches me deep inside, moves me, gets to the humanity of the story, makes me cry, actually. This film hits those marks and has stunning memorable scenes that show extraordinary craft. Oh, and it is sex-positive. 

I will just say that I wasn't sold at first. It took a little while, so give it time. The last scene is up there with some of my favorite film endings. I shouldn't say that, because it is a disservice, because it creates expectations. The film and the ending is small and subtle, so let go of expectations. This movie is light and silly, it is a comedy, but also so dark and heavy and powerful. It is small but so very universal. And such a real view into a certain world I used to have the privilege of  hanging around the peripheries of. I miss the fun part of that scene, and also the human beauty of it and felt so lucky to be let into that world again. 

I have said it before, I always try to put my money where my mouth is and support films by and about the communities I am a part of and I care about. This is one of them. And it is on Netflix!!!! So you have no excuse.

(Tangerine is a 2015 American comedy-drama film written and directed by Sean S. Baker and Chris Bergoch, starring Kitana Kiki Rodriguez, Mya Taylor, and James Ransone. The story follows a transgender sex worker who discovers her boyfriend and pimp has been cheating on her.)

If I were posting songs I'd post Tangerine by Zepplin, oh, I can hear it so clearly.  Xxh

No comments:

Post a Comment