Monday, December 14, 2015

25: the tip of the iceberg

My parents did not tell me much about life or what to expect or how to succeed. My father told me a few things over time. The things I enter the grown up world knowing were:

don't get a credit card, they charge you money to use them
pay your bills on time, if affects your credit score or your ability to borrow money
take care of your health, your body is like a house and you need to fix whatever is wrong or it will eventually mess up the foundation. make sure you get well before you push yourself or you will get sick again and it will be worse.
life is life the ocean, the waves just keep coming, go with it.
be a good friend
maybe I am leaving out a couple more, but that is all that comes to mind.

they were not bad pieces of information, but spotty. There was a lot left out that I had to learn on my own. I graduated college and was out there on my own, figuring it out. I was out there on my own figuring it out in high school and grammar school and earlier as well, but I had some help. after college graduation, I was alone, figuring out how to get an apartment, pay rent, how to shop, cook, budget, how to meet someone, be in a relationship, determine if it was the relationship I wanted, get out if it wasn't, how to live a fulfilling life doing what I wanted, how to find my calling and my purpose, how to be happy, how to negotiate, how to work hard, how to enjoy myself, how to persevere, how to give, how to receive, how to handle stress and rejection and tragedy and pain, how to show up, how to set  boundaries, how to  meet my needs, how to express my needs, how to express my feelings, how to feel my feelings. and so much more, yes?

lots to think about in regard to what you want to teach your kids.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Njb3JTZ1ibY

No comments:

Post a Comment