Tuesday, January 12, 2016

keep your electric eye on me babe: thinking about david bowie pt II


I was seven when I first heard Bowie. My cool older cousins had the Diamond Dogs record (god bless them!) and they played it and danced around and sang the words, of which I particularly remember “not sure if you’re a boy or a girl.” He made that issue normal and attractive. I loved it. I was hooked. The world grew that day.

At 12, as I mentioned yesterday, I saw him play Madison Square Garden, (Heros tour)

At 14, I saw Bowie on Broadway in the Elephant Man. I had already seen the show on broadway when it first came around, but had to go back to see Boiwe do it.

I never saw him again in the flesh after that.

I am kind of in awe hearing everyone’s stories about what a gentleman he was, how he handled the room and diffused tension. The fact that he managed to incorporate his death into his art blows me away. Is it possible to control everything with ease and grace? I am surprised to find that his passing is so profoundly inspirational to me. I am inspired to reach further. My world just grew bigger. He makes it look so easy.

No comments:

Post a Comment